Some cool swimming pool design images:
Moseley Road Baths (Public Library and Baths, Balsall Heath) – Balsall Heath Public Baths
Image by ell brown
current state of the Moseley Road Baths
This building on Moseley Road in Balsall Heath was upgraded to Grade II* status in 2004, by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Some of the pools are not in use at present. I went here back in the early ’90s with my primary school (it seemed ok back then).
The Moseley Road Baths is listed as the Balsall Heath Public Baths.
It is a Grade II* listed building.
The Free Library opened in 1895, designed by Jethro A. Cossins and Peacock. The Baths were added to the south and opened in 1907 by William Hale and Son, Architect, with Job Cox as Superintendant Engineer and W. & J. Webb as the builders. Red brick with terracotta dressings and slate roof. The LIBRARY consists of a large hall flanked to the north by a prominent entrance tower. EXTERIOR: Flemish and Renaissance details combined with some Arts and Crafts motifs, all lavishly executed in buff terracotta contrasted with red brick walls. Deep terracotta plinth carried up to level of 3 great hall windows with mullioned and double transomed depressed arch lights (leaded with good decorative work to heads). These windows are contained in terracotta banded pier arcade with inner arch in moulded terracotta, spaced terracotta voussoirs carried into brick outer arch. Above the windows the parapeted wall head is raised in terracotta shaped gables with segmental pedimented aedicule niches. Flemish Renaissance doorway at foot of tower with banded bulbous columns, curvilinear terracotta gable-pediment swept above entablature to relief plaque of city arms. The tower rising above has curved chamfer corners with terracotta banding, the crowning clock stage and dome pinnacled short swept spire is entirely terracotta faced with banding, pilasters, cornice and balustraded niches, the spire capped by a miniature cupola. A rich, carefully balanced design, the subtly varied scale within the overall composition highlighted in the small extension with side entrance to the right of the main entrance and in the detailing of the tower. LIBRARY INTERIOR: Aisled hall of 3 bays with square granite columns with pulvinated frieze and egg-and-dart moulding supporting round, keyed arches with moulded voussoirs and panels to the intrados. Above this runs a frieze with youthful figures reading. Brackets support the roof beams and there is a central skylight. The BATHS EXTERIOR follows the same idiom as the library in colour, but with more lavish terracotta decoration to the symmetrical facade, and more conventionally Flemish-Jacobean detail. Three bay centre with oriel below aediculed gable. Ogee heads to lights of mullioned windows. The doorways emphasised by octagonal flanking towers, with oculi and terracotta cupolas. The central doorway has its swept-scrolled pediment surmounted by a large polychrome statuary presentation of the City Arms and on the door lintel is carved WOMEN’S BATHS. The doors at either side are similarly inscribed MEN’S BATHS/FIRST CLASS [right] and MEN’S BATHS/SECOND CLASS [left]. To the rear north side of the baths rises a tall cylindrical chimney stack with deep arcaded neck beneath the crown. BATHS INTERIOR: The slipper baths are to the road front of the building with the swimming pools behind. Entrance to the Ladies’ baths is through the central door and lobby. There are 14 cubicles, the majority of which contain their original slipper bath, 2 lavatories and a cubicle for the attendant with fireplace. There is a pay desk with a segmentally bowed hardwood front and panels of stained glass. The first and second class baths lie to either side of the ladies’ baths and are approached by corridors which both lead to a top-lit lobby with 2 segment-fronted cash desks to receive money for swimming or bathing. There are 10 First class baths and 13 [originally 18] second class baths. Both sets of men’s baths have many of their original bathtubs and hardwood doors with original furniture to the cubicles. The ceilings have decorated basket-arched steel beams to the roofs above which are clerestories. Throughout the slipper baths there is an abundance of tesselated flooring with decorative borders, tiled walls and stained glass quarries to the windows with the original bell pulls and bell indicator boards surviving. The swimming pools are aligned N-S [1st class] and E-W [2nd class]. The first class pool has tiled changing cubicles lining the sides, above which are balconies with bowed iron fronts. The north end has an arcade at balcony level. There are decorated steel basket arches to the roof, below the clerestory and the pool retains its original glazed brick bottom and sides. The second class bath is plainer but has tiled walls, decorated arches, clerestory and glazed bricks to the pool bottom. The boiler and pump rooms have round-arched windows and tiled walls. The first floor is approached by an open well staircase with mahogany hand rail and wrought iron balustrade, the staircase hall having tiled walls, stained glass panels to the windows and a panelled wood ceiling. The boardroom has a decorative truss to the ceiling and bay window. Adjacent to this is the boilerman’s flat. The laundry room has lost its sinks but retains its drying racks and above this the header tank remains in the roof. A commanding group of public buildings in the street picture and epitomising the civic pride of the period with a lavish, complete interior. Source: J. Moth, The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851-1951, 1951
Balsall Heath Public Baths – Heritage Gateway
I took it only for the baths, not the Free Library.
Montréal – Hochelaga-Maisonneuve: Le Stade Olympique de Montréal
Image by wallyg
Le Stade Olympique de Montréal (Montreal Olympic Stadium) was built as the main venue for the 1976 Summer Olympics, and subsequently became the home ballpark of Major League Baseball’s Montreal Expos from 1977 until the franchise was moved to Washington, D.C. after the 2004 season, and Canadian Football League teams. The stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremonies, track and field, soccer finals and some equestrian events for the 1976 Games. The Olympic swimming pool was located under the tower, and the Olympic Velodrome (since converted to the Biodôme) were situated at the base of the tower. Olympic Stadium has served as a home to the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes, NASL’s Montreal Manic, WLAF’s Montreal Machine, and has hosted the CFL’s Grey Cup.
"The Big O", designed by French architect Roger Tailibert, was to feature a retractable roof, which would be opened and closed by La tour de Montréal (Montreal Tower), the tallest inclined structure in the world at 175-metres, on a 45-degree angle. The tower, a member of the World Federation of Great Towers, offers visitors a 360-degree panaroma at the Observatoire de la Tour de Montréal (Montreal Tower Observatory), accessible via a 2-minute funicular-ride. The bi-level funicular, which travels 2.8 metres per second, accommodates up to 76 people per ride.
The stadium was not completed in time for the games. Cost and construction overruns resulting from the unusual design, coupled with labor strikes, left the stadium without a tower or roof for the opening ceremonies. The 65-ton roof languished in a warehouse in France until 1982. It wasn’t until 1987 that both the tower and the roof, made of over 5,574 square-metres of Kevlar, were completed, and until 1988 that the roof could be retracted. And even then, the roof could not be used in winds greater than 40 km/hr. Initial projections estimated the cost of the stadium at C4 million, but costs reached C4 million when the unfinished stadium opened. The City of Montréal did not finish paying off the stadium until 2006, when total costs of the "Big Owe" were estimated to have reached C.4 billion.
Water, water everywhere
Image by Anantara Journeys
This unique pool concept was Inspired by the floating markets and villages of traditional Thai culture.